OsteoCHAMPS 2013 Participant ApplicationsOsteoCHAMPS 2013 participant applications are now available! Please click on "Applications" at left.
To work with families, teachers, counselors and sponsors to provide program participants with tools, skills and knowledge to enable them to become productive citizens capable of adapting to a dynamic world.
The mission of OsteoCHAMPS is to broaden the health care interests of participants to enable them to achieve their career goals. The pre-college component promotes for the participants:
- Greater academic preparation and competitiveness for higher education
- Lifelong learning and problem-solving skills
- Development of individual responsibility, appreciation of diversity, and teamwork
- Tools needed to set worthy goals toward the attainment of health related careers
- Strengthening health career interests of participants
- Fostering participants' academic progression into higher education
- Promoting the recruitment of participants into health career institutions with particular emphasis on MSUCOM
- Advancing participants' professional service in communities of need
History and Outcomes
The OsteoCHAMPS program was established in 2000 to encourage, prepare and foster the health career interests of disadvantaged high school students across the state of Michigan.
As of 2012, more than 400 high school juniors and seniors have successfully completed the OsteoCHAMPS summer academic enrichment program. Following high school graduation, many of these fine OsteoCHAMPS alums have advanced to colleges and universities around the country in a wide range of degree programs, including:
- Osteopathic Medicine
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Sports Medicine